Sunday, May 27, 2012

Brussels, Bruges and Ghent

My trip to Belgium was an adventure. The first part of this adventure was (no exaggeration) a food and beer binge. I took a train from Aachen (Germany) and met up with Michelle & Heidi who had just left Geneva. The plan was to meet in Brussels and stay for 2 nights. We ate all the fries, waffles and beers we could possibly consume in a matter of 48 hours. 

1. Brussels, Belgium
Brussels has to be one of the most underwhelming places I've visited. There was nothing spectacular about this city that really made me "love" it or even "like" it. It was dirty, extremely hip & underground, a little too liberal, and pretty trashy. By 9pm it seemed like everyone was wasted and out of control. 

Stopped by this place first, a little shack called Frituur Friterie that specializes in Belgian fries.

The three of us scarfed down 2 batches of fries in one standing. Yep, classy. We couldn't help ourselves.

Oh my, waffles. The original Belgian waffle. 

Day drinking at 3pm > going to our 50th museum. Drinking the famous Tripel Karmeliet at the famous Delirium Cafe in Brussels!

And of course, at the end of the night... doner kebab without fail. 

Brussels didn't really impress me initially...but when I stepped into the Grand Palace I was completely awestruck.

Awesome 360 shot I took of the Grand Palace. 

Waffles everywhere we go... Can't leave them alone.

We entered this park at around noon and ever single person there was day-drinking. Go hard, Brussels.

I miss us three. All we need is a camera with self timer, and we can entertain ourselves for hours.



Goodbye Grand Palace & Brussels!

2. Bruges, Belgium
Bruges has to be, in my opinion, one of the most amazing and most beautiful cities in Europe. I mean, it's not like I've been everywhere, but from all the places I've visited I'd have to say Bruges is one of my favorites. (Make a trip out here if you're ever in Belgium!) I took a train out here by myself and did a lot of solo exploring...first of many solo adventures to come.

Look at the roofs, the brick, the doors... Love.


Such a gorgeous town, cannot get over it.

Stopped by a Picasso exhibition


Canals everywhere, clean streets, quaint buildings and homes. This entire town reminded me of a scene from a story book.

Like Belle's hometown from Beauty & the Beast

Kids biking along narrow streets...

Castles that overlook the town... 

Old buildings and mini garden..looking..things.

Belgian waffles, with strawberry & chocolate syrup. Glorious.


Just when I thought I saw all there was to see, I walk into this plaza. Of course, it's freaking beautiful and breath taking.

The map that saved my life.

Too excited & happy to be in this square. 

Spending some time reading the Hunger Games. So addicted.

3. Gent, Belgium
Literally, randomly, out of the blue, bought a train ticket to Gent with zero knowledge and zero idea of what it was, where to go, and how to get around. Gent was suggested by one of the travelers I met in Prague, who shared that it was one of the most gorgeous places he's seen. So, without knowing really anything else about this place, other than the fact that its supposedly great, I took a trip out. When I got out of the train station, I aimlessly started walking down the street hoping to find some kind of tourist crowd. When I couldn't find a single person in sight, I walked some more until I found a bus stop and hopped on a bus asking the driver to take me anywhere but here (no kidding). He took me to the city center where I did some more walking and searching and finally found this...

Yes...people!

And this...

And this.... (I'm crying at this point at how gorgeous all this is btw)


Legit castle in the middle of the city. Toooooo cooool. 


A beautiful cathedral inside & out.


Brussels was exciting, but Bruges and Gent were in my opinion far more beautiful that anything Brussels could offer. I was so glad I took the chance and made the visit. When I was in Gent, I saw this taped to a pole: "What would you like to do before you die?" I feel like this trip has been such a good reflection of my passions and one of my main goals in life- to really travel and see the world outside of my bubble in L.A. I've always known I wanted to travel, but was never sure how or when. 

I can confidently say I've already accomplished so many goals I had in life. Time to make a longer list! Don't limit yourself. The possibilities are endless.

0 comments:

Post a Comment